Pretty good but icon behaviour...

The PE packer place.

Moderator: CGSoftLabs

Skymmer

Pretty good but icon behaviour...

Post by Skymmer »

Truly speaking PE and only EXE packers are my hobby and I was quite wondered with latest eXPressor versions. You have switched to LZMA compression, added command line support and at this moment eXPressor is very close to modern packers BUT... Icon compression is absolutely unacceptable. Brief tests with 30 files showed simple thing: in most cases files packed with eXP have a wrong icon in Explorer or any shell which differ from original. I just don't understand is it so hard to make a correct engine? Don't think that I'm harsh. I suffer from this fact myself just because I can't add eXPressor to my Big PE Compression test (70 files, 64Kb-18Mb range).
Anyway I wish you every success in your programming!
CGSoftLabs

Re: Pretty good but icon behaviour...

Post by CGSoftLabs »

Skymmer wrote:Truly speaking PE and only EXE packers are my hobby and I was quite wondered with latest eXPressor versions. You have switched to LZMA compression, added command line support and at this moment eXPressor is very close to modern packers BUT... Icon compression is absolutely unacceptable. Brief tests with 30 files showed simple thing: in most cases files packed with eXP have a wrong icon in Explorer or any shell which differ from original. I just don't understand is it so hard to make a correct engine? Don't think that I'm harsh. I suffer from this fact myself just because I can't add eXPressor to my Big PE Compression test (70 files, 64Kb-18Mb range).
Anyway I wish you every success in your programming!
Hi there

1.there is a variable degree of incertitude when packing exe icons;
2.eXPressor preserve's unpacked first icon group + all icons 32x32 with compression level 2; if original PE exe holds many 32x32 icons there is a problem (more icons won't be packed and the size will grow); you can choose level 3 and find your 32x32 icon;
3.if u try to pack packed files there is a pb too; the default icon may escape :)
4.look the latest 28 files packing test
5.I'll be glad to inspect your exe files to see what's the problem
6.what's your PE comp. test page..you make me curious :wink:

bsplayer was packed before with telock (another packer); this is a lost icon example;
and the other 3 files with no icon didn't come with one from the beginning;

---------------------------------------------------------------------
eXPressor version : 1.4.5.1
Compressed files : 28
Duration : 00:05:29
Total size : 124206619 bytes , 118.45 MB
Total Compressed size: 56603387 bytes , 53.98 MB
Ratio : 54.43%
Speed : 368.68 KB/s
---------------------------------------------------------------------